Sunday, May 20, 2007

Frito Pie

About three weeks ago I had my first Frito Pie. Down here in the borderlands, Frito Pie is sold at many roadside stands, at carnivals and fairs, and yes, it is even served as the entree in school lunches.

In summer 2006, Miss Diana and I often fantasized about how great it was going to be eating school lunch when I became a teacher. I was genuinely looking forward to this because I love all food, and I especially loved school lunch as a child. Sometimes I would pretend I didn't like it, because all the cool kids made faces at the pizza casserole and said the cheese tasted like plastic and that the hot dogs were floating in duck pee. But really, I loved and relished it.

Now I'm confronted with the grim reality of school lunch. It is almost without fail, really gross. And causes me digestion issues during 5th period that are potentially embarrassing. But I am with school lunch the same way Marlowe is with omelettes. So on the rare occasion that I forget to bring a lunch, I get excited about buying school lunch, and then as soon as I have it I can't eat it because it is so so bad.

This is getting unnecessarily long so I will skip to the punch. I ate Frito Pie for lunch, and this is what it was:

A bag of Fritos, slit on the side of the bag to form a sort of bowl/pouch.
Chili (with beef and pinto beans) poured into bag
Nacho cheese sauce poured into bag
Served with a plastic fork

It was................delicious. Not really delicious, but the novelty of eating it right out of the Frito bag made it delicious. I may be wrong but I don't think this taste sensation exists all over the United States and I think it could be a viable business opportunity if the whole grad school/Fullbright bullshit doesn't work out for y'all. Granted, the Frito pie did give me a near instant case of diarrhea, but it was temporary and easily forgotten.

Because you eat it right out of the bag guys.

1 comment:

tricia said...

Oh, wow. Once again my eyes have been opened to a new world of possibilities. like...what if instead of putting the chips on top of the tuna casserole, we put the casserole in the bag of chips?!